- Sugar makes tumors grow.
- Cancer cells have 6-10 times the number of insulin receptors-molecules that grab on to the hormone-as any other normal cell.
- Insulin stimulates cell growth.
- Sugar raises your insulin levels.
Cancer is a painful disease and I hear chemo is something you should want to avoid in life at all costs. Chemo harms your body, and studies show you never fully recover from it.
Sugar is cleverly hidden in virtually everything we eat, ESPECIALLY packaged and processed foods. From breads, crackers, soups, sauces low fat foods and diet foods. Breakfast cereals are the worst. An example would be if you start your day off with a cup of Raisin bran, you have just ingested 20 grams of sugar. Packaged hot cereal, like Quaker instant oatmeal, 13 grams of sugar-almost all of it table sugar. The bagel you grab in the morning, unless you are choosing whole wheat or multigrain, you bagel has essentially has 30 grams of sugar. That's the same amount as in one piece of chocolate cake.
Sugar hides in food under clever names like beet sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, invert sugar, lactose, maltodextrin, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, sucrose, and turbinado sugar. These sugars are in everything from protein bars and shakes, to breads and dairy.
Armed with this information I went into my fridge and my pantry and started looking at the ingredients of the products my family consumes. I almost had a panic attack. Here I was, thinking my family was on the right track and I was doing so well and what I found was sugar, sugar, sugar... everywhere. My personality is to start disposing of it all, almost as if having the item in my house was going to cause my family cancer.. I had to get it out!!!!! But I continued to read and do some research and have learned that if I just eat only foods that have 5 grams of sugar or less then I would be on the right track.
I also learned that "diet" products have high sugars in them as well. One of my mentors when I first started my getting healthy journey use to tell me I had to buy clean protein, because most proteins contain high sugar. (Max Muscle products do not) When I started looking around at the store at diet products I was amazed at how many bars, shakes, meals were loaded in sugar. No wonder people struggle so hard.
- Ravioli Florentine by Weight Watchers: 12 grams of sugar.
- South beach Chocolate breakfast bar: 7 g sugars, 3g sugar alcohol
- Kellogg's special K protein bars: 17 grams of sugar
- Lean Cuisine Grilled Chicken & Penne Pasta 24 grams of sugar.
- Get rid of sugar free juices, sodas, and treats. These items cause sugar cravings and sugar cravings trigger your brain to grab for chips and other junk foods!
- Don't put sugar in your clean products like water, tea or coffee.
- Clean out your fridge and pantry of simple sugar items such as candy, cookies, cakes, pies, soda, and fat free products.
- Buy apples, pears, berries and citrus fruits.
- Drink lots of water. A craving is often a sign of dehydration, not a cry for food. Buy a BPA Free water bottle and carry it everywhere with you!
- Cut back on caffeine or get rid of it all together. Caffeine causes your drop in blood sugar and leads to fat storing. Try herbal tea or limit your caffeine to only two cups per day.
If you need help with food ideas, ways to get rid of sugar or just want to have someone in your corner.... I am here!
Peace to all of you and "sweet" dreams only.