Welcome to Mellie's mind...

Where thoughts can be funny, can race at all hours of the day and night and can sometimes not make any sense!

Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I am......




If you have been following my blog you know these cards are called the I Am...... Cards.  The idea is to pull a card each day to read a positive affirmation to fill your mind with.  By focusing on positive thoughts, you can change how you feel and the way you think.  It's a simple way to experience life in a new and exciting way, and to explore your mind with the thought behind the "I am".... card of the day.

I am....friendly


When I was a young girl I was very shy.  I came from a household with two older brothers who were outgoing and didn't have issues making friends.  My brother who was just a few years older than me was the charismatic one.  I not only admired his outgoing personality and friendliness I also lived in his shadow.  He could do no wrong in my mother's eyes and everyone was drawn to him.  I was the little sister that tagged along.

I, like most girls, had body image issues.  I was never pretty enough or thin enough.  My "development" was slower than most and I just was not comfortable in who I was.  I knew I was a good person but my lack of self-esteem prevented me from really showing this side of myself and being outgoing at a young age.

As I grew and began having children I really found myself analyzing who I was.  I would sit and think about my own self-worth, how I allowed others to treat me and how I treated myself.  Even into adulthood I was not very nice to myself sometimes and I would hide in my own shadow. 

One of the good things about growing up like this was it made me appreciate others who felt similar.  I was and still am able to tell when other people are feeling the same way I use to feel.  Being shy and insecure is no longer an issue for me, however, it has allowed me to recognize and understand when others are and thus allowing me to go out of my way to be friendly to them.

I am a friendly person.  Most days I walk around making eye contact with those around me.  I will offer a smile and sometimes a hello, no matter where I am, what sex, race or age the people around me are.  When I was not so outgoing I knew how it to walk around and be invisible and I don't want that for anyone else, even if they are a stranger to me.

When I am out in a group of friends I will scan the room and make sure everyone is having a good time.  If someone is left out of a conversation, I will maneuver myself in that conversation to allow the person being left out to have an opportunity to contribute.  If someone is not being engaged with I will go out of my way to talk to that person in hopes to ease their discomfort and draw them in and offer myself as a friend they can be with rather than feeling alone.

When talking to a person who I sense is not feeling comfortable or insecure I will be encouraging with them.  I will point out a quality about their personality that is positive so they will hear me tell them I think they are a good person.  This could mean I tell someone how much I appreciate their humor, or how well they do their job and how much I appreciate them.  Sometimes I will go out of my way at the gym to let a female know I can see the changes she is making in her body with her workouts to give her encouragement.  All of these little acts are real and have nothing to do with me.  I have no agenda, I am not trying to be Ms. Popular, and I am simply taking a second out of my day because I can sense someone needs some friendliness.

As I got older and became more aware of the impact I have on others and the ability to help people change their lives for the better I also became someone who others are drawn to.  My hubby use to tell me all the time that people are always drawn to me.  That my smile lights up a room and naturally people want to be around me.  Others would try and break me down and out of jealousy or hate and criticize me but I knew they were not speaking the truth. 

We all have the same opportunities in life and we all have the power to help someone each day.  I would encourage anyone reading this to try little steps in your life to make yourself even friendlier.  Offer smiles to strangers.  Look people in the eye as you are passing them and say a quick hello.  Invite someone at work who maybe keeps to themselves to lunch one day.  If they don't accept right away, keep trying.  Have a conversation with someone you know and do a quick check in with them.  Maybe they met someone new, ask them about it.  If they switched positions at work, congratulate them and ask them how the transition is going.   Do small gestures with others that will make them feel accepted and noticed.  Not everyone knows how to express themselves and be outgoing.  This doesn't mean they are a snob or being rude it could simply mean they are shy and lost in themselves.  Try and go out of your way to bring new people into your circle and be a positive influence on them.  You never know the impact you will have in someone's life unless you try.

I am... friendly.

Can you think of ways you can be too?

~Mellie


 

No comments:

Post a Comment