Welcome to Mellie's mind...

Where thoughts can be funny, can race at all hours of the day and night and can sometimes not make any sense!

Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Love Dare-Day Nine

Think of a special way you'd like to greet your spouse today.  Do it with a smith and with enthusiasm.  Then determine to change your greeting to reflect your love for them.

Love makes good impressions- You can tell a lot about the state of a couple's relationship from the way they greet one another.  The bible speaks a lot about greeting others.  The apostle Paul took time to encourage his readers to greet one another warmly when they met.  It's probably something you don't think about often but how do you greet your spouse first thing in the morning, what is the look on your face when one returns from being gone to work or out?  What energy is in your voice when you speak to your spouse on the phone?  You probably never considered it-the difference it would make in your spouse's day if everything about you expressed the fact that you were really, really glad to see them.  It doesn't have to be bold and dramatic all the time.  But adding warmth and enthusiasm gives you the chance to touch your mate's heart in a subtle, unspoken way.

This was a really good chapter for me because what seems like such a little gesture can often make such a huge impact on a person we take for granted ~ the cause and affect we have on others sometimes escapes me.

There have been days where my "salutations" to my hubby have been less than desirable in his eyes, what seems like a perfectly fine hello to ME might be a brush off to him.  I had a manager once tell me  "someone's perception of me was 100% the truth to them and it was up to me to determine what perception they would have."  This rings true in my marriage too.

I might be tired, rushing around getting ready for the gym, have had five different kids bombard me with questions, needs or wants when my hubby is walking through the door home from his day.  I might shoot him a hello, smile and continue on with the path I am on or I may stop and hug him and kiss him hello and then continue on with my task.  Regardless neither of these ways shows him how truly happy I am he is home.

I have said it a thousand and one times, marriage is hard.  My hubby and I have been through the ringer and back with each other but none of that matters to me the moment he walks out the door and leaves for the day.  As soon as I hear the garage door closing in the morning and I hear his little car speed down the road of our neighborhood something changes in me.  Sometimes I will have a quick morbid thought, "what if this is the last time I see him?"  most times I just think "okay now it's time to get on with your day" but no matter what I am saying in my head in my heart I feel empty.

This emptiness does not have to do with insecurities or fears, it's simply when we are not together I do not feel complete.  I feel lost, not whole and sometimes alone.  Does this mean we have to be with each other every waking moment of everyday?  No, but it does mean that when we are not together I do not feel 100% of myself.  Some may say is this cosmic bond we have with each other, I simply say I love my husband and miss him when he is not with me.  This to me is love, a love I have never had nor will ever have again.

That all being said, this chapter was a GREAT reminder that when he does come home I do need to greet him better.  I do need to show him how much I missed him and exactly how happy I am that he is home.  This doesn't mean I need to smoother him when he gets home or become his shadow it simply means I should clear my mind, my thoughts and spend a few moments letting him know....

I am happy you are home and greet him with a kiss of love.

~Melllie

 ****

Taking people for granted--should be the 8th deadly sin, as far as I am concerned. Someday, hopefully not soon, my last hello or goodbye will be just that..my last. Sooner or later, sometimes unexpectedly, we are all going to die.

This chapter was a reminder, to me--the bigger picture if you will-- that I need to not take my wife for granted. To me, this is symbolized by the importance of a proper greeting-....taking the time to demonstrate to the love of your life that they are just that...while you still can.

Some times, especially when it comes to "self-improvement", I feel like we constantly work toward the future. I want to be become this...I am working toward....I will be a better...etc. etc. But you know what, that next day or year may not come. So, while I am all for working for a better tomorrow, as they say, I am cautious not to do it at the expense...the risk of forgetting...about today. For right now, this moment, is the only thing in life that is guaranteed to us.

I love my wife. I miss her when she is gone. I am always sooo happy to see her. I will take the time to make sure she feels the way I feel inside.

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment