Welcome to Mellie's mind...

Where thoughts can be funny, can race at all hours of the day and night and can sometimes not make any sense!

Enjoy the ride!

Monday, December 8, 2014

I am......


If you have been following my blog you know these cards are called the I Am...... Cards.  The idea is to pull a card each day to read a positive affirmation to fill your mind with.  By focusing on positive thoughts, you can change how you feel and the way you think.  It's a simple way to experience life in a new and exciting way, and to explore your mind with the thought behind the "I am".... card of the day.


I am.... growing.

Not everyone grows at the same time, the same rate or with the same intent.  But I do feel that we all have the ability to continue to grow no matter how old we are, if we make the effort.

Character and wisdom are developed in each of us over time. Character and wisdom come after doubts, second guesses, and exploring the unknowns.  If there were a definitive path to happiness and success, everyone would be on it.  The progress we all make in our lives is due to our past failures and experiences.  Our best stories will come from overcoming out greatest struggles.  Our praises will be birthed from our pains.  Life comes with loss, lessons, and triumphs.

Just when I think I am at a place in my life where I am done growing life will change for me and remind me that I am never done.  It is a reminder that I constantly have to be growing, changing and adapting to things and people around me.  With this I have to allow myself to be open to the universe bringing new people and experiences into my life and I have to remember to look for the lessons in everything that comes my way.

I was reminded of this over the weekend.  I had a moment of struggle in life and as painful as it was I tried to back away from the situation to look at it from another point of view to find the lesson for myself that I could carry into the future with me.  It's not always easy to do this, it can be very painful especially if someone is being forceful towards you about the situation.  But what I realized was I do not have to agree with the assessment of  my life by another person but it's in my best interest to analyze it and walk away with a better understanding of myself and how that person fits into my life.  I had a manager once tell me "People's perception of you is 100% the truth."  She advised me that I did not have to agree with the person nor did I have to change who I was but I did have to accept that their perception of me, to them, is 100% THEIR truth and if it matters to me then it was my job to change their perception.  That is a tough pill to swallow but accurate and I was reminded of it this weekend.

I am continually growing.  The day I stop growing I think will be the day I die.  I am always open to being a better person.  I am always open to handling tough situations better than in the past and I am always open to improving my life and the life of my family.  Although I do not always do my best and come up short, I do remind myself that no one is perfect. When faced with an imperfect situation I do not care who you are, we are all human and we all deserve the grace of forgiveness and another chance to make things right for ourselves and with others.

My challenge for myself and for anyone reading this:  Start looking at life’s harsh realities and toughest challenges as friends that are going to help you grow. Find the lessons and do your best to accept them.

I am.... growing.

~Mellie 







No comments:

Post a Comment