Welcome to Mellie's mind...

Where thoughts can be funny, can race at all hours of the day and night and can sometimes not make any sense!

Enjoy the ride!

Monday, January 28, 2013

The Love Dare- Day Six

Choose today to react to tough circumstances in your marriage in loving ways instead of with irritations.  Begin making a list below of areas where you need to add margin to your schedule.  then list any wrong motivations that you need to release from your life.
He who is slow to anger is better than the might, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.  -Proverbs 16:32
Love is hard to offend and quick to forgive.  People who are irritable are locked, loaded and ready to overreact. When under pressure love doesn't turn sour.  Minor problems don't yield major reactions.  The truth is, love does not get angry or hurt unless there is a legitimate and just reason in the sight of God.  A loving husband will remain calm and patient, showing mercy and respect.  A loving wife is not overly sensitive or cranky but exercises emotional self control. She chooses to be a flower among the thorns and response pleasantly during a prickly situation. 

This chapter and challenge speaks to me because I am facing a few situations that I am just a storm waiting to happen.  I am trying to encourage my hubby to be forthcoming with me and share his emotions with me but I know if I come at him like a hurricane I am going to turn him off.  Have I been a flower among the thorns?? Probably not, but I am learning to control my emotions more and more and not react to situations that throw me into fear or cause concern.  Here is a man I love and ask for him to be open with me in every part of his life, yet when I am faced with situations out of my control I spin out of control.  It is not my intentions but I allow my emotions to get the best of me.  Just like yesterday's challenge I am just learning to listen and be with myself.

So many times people will tell me how they are doing fad diets or starving themselves or skipping meals to lose weight and I always ask the same hard question... "How is that going for you?"  Of course we know the answer.. it isn't.  The same is true for me.... it isn't working out for me and it is not bringing me to a closer relationship with my hubby so I have to try and change it.  I have to commit to doing it a new way, I have to learn to let go and trust and trust my hubby and God.

Today, I was able to do this.  There were things that came across my path that normally I would either lash out at or I would corner my hubby.  Rather than doing that today I just kept it to myself, well I gave it to God.  I asked God to take it from me and deal with it.  I said over and over again in my head... "God, this is too much for me to deal with you take it and deal with it."  By the end of the day I was in the arms of my hubby and we were discussing how things were getting better for us and would continue to get better.

That is a success to me.

~Mellie
****I have a couple friends who are struggling in their marriage.  I challenged them to take the Love Dare with me.  This is a 60 day love challenge based off the movie FireProof Your Marriage.  I have started this challenge in the past but not fully dove into it or completed it so I thought if I got these ladies to do it with me we could all work through it together.

http://www.lifeway.com/Product/the-love-dare-paperback-p005180605



I am always looking for ways to improve my marriage, my faith and my relationship with my hubby.  I am doing this for me more so than FOR him.  It is about changing who I am and who I want to be as a wife and mother and child of God.****

No comments:

Post a Comment